Monday, January 16, 2006

“Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!”

That might be a strong heading for this entry, but hey, when you get your first “FATAL ALERT” or “FATAL ERROR” screen, you feel like you are in grave danger of losing a handheld. Don’t worry though, if I got through it, so can you. We began to experience these messages on the first handheld at the start of August. Since then we’ve averaged about 5 per month. I took a three ring binder and made log sheets for each handheld so I could keep track of any errors or strange things that occurred. Most of the time, the errors could be offset by clicking the reset button that appeared at the bottom of the error message box. When that didn’t work, I would just do a ‘soft reset’ for that particular handheld. Knock on wood, but that’s all that’s been needed up to this point and the future.

The only other quirk I am still finding with the Tungsten T5 handhelds is that sometimes they don’t turn on. I can have a fully charged battery, but the device won’t turn on when I press the power button. I have to do a soft reset to get it turned on. This has happened many times to my handheld and it’s started happening with another one that an adult uses. I’m wondering if it’s a usage type thing, since both of us utilize our T5s a lot more than the students do. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

You can access my Error Logs on my classroom website at Preziosi's Pride.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home